Welcomes and Introductions---Start here! šŸ‘‹

@Urbaman so happy to see you here man! Nicola is too humble: he has helped to publish in Italy a lot of games like The Sprawl, FATE, On Mighty Thews, Sweet Agatha, and Sagas of the Icelanders. Glad to have Nicola among us.

3 Appreciations

Hello there,

Iā€™m Francesco (he/him), everyone calls me Bobo. Iā€™ve started to play D&D red box, introduced by my father to this hobby. Iā€™ve kept playing d&d, with 3.5e and 5e intermittently until 2018, when I discovered Dungeon World.

ā€¦ that was my first look into the rabbit hole, cause there I started to look for d&d alternatives which can ā€œmake things betterā€. I received lot of good input from ā€œLa Locanda del Drago Rossoā€, an Italian podcast that, even if I no more agree with him for many points of view, at that time was the main reason that led me to look for a more aware way to play RPG.

After a long period of time when I felt reached to the finish line, ā€œexpertā€, as a player, I started to question my play style again, this year. I consider myself an ever-growing player (or, sometime an idiot :joy:, cause I keep playing some game finding that "last time Iā€™ve played Iā€™ve done this and this wrong - thatā€™s the story of my life).

This happens mainly thanks to users meet at Locanda dei GDR, where Iā€™m still active.

Iā€™m here cause Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve appreciate the work done by froggy in his other forum, and why not try to interact with a larger pool of users?

I donā€™t want to speak about every single game Iā€™ve tried in the last years, I left some pic here as someone already made.

When I do not play RPG I work in IT as developer and play videogames on pc.

Something Iā€™ve played more or less recently ā€¦

ByBobo

8 Appreciations

Youā€™ll be happy to know he also doesnā€™t agree with himself any more, specifically on the points you disagree with. Il Rosso has evolved for the better. I respect him a lot for that.

And welcome, obviously. Glad to have you, youā€™ve been a great contributor on La Locanda. Itā€™s been exciting seeing you grow.

4 Appreciations

And welcome to @Deliverator @Mark_Delsing @Urbaman @Byakko . Itā€™s great to get this eclectic intersection of people. Thatā€™s exactly what I wanted for this space.

4 Appreciations

So excited to see someone else who knows Fabula Ultima! Not surprising given the Italian contingent of this forum. Does anyone here know Emanuele?

Iā€™m beyond happy that FabU won Game of the Year at the Ennies.

5 Appreciations

Hello everybody!

Iā€™m Eugenio (he/him). My first ever RPG session dates back to sometimes around the early 2000s, when I collected some friends at a Summer camp and ran a couple of sessions of Tiers Age. That was literally it for years. Now that I think about it, in those years I recall at least two groups of ā€œolderā€ kids that used to play D&D and wouldnā€™t even let me listen to them because I was ā€œtoo youngā€. Which also implies that I totally donā€™t know whether they were playing AD&D 2 or D&D 3.0/3.5, but itā€™s not particularly relevant.

My RPG history resumed some five or so years ago, while I was a PhD candidate. A guy in my department arranged some crazy sessions with like everybody around our age, so quite obviously a good chunk of these people simply quit after the first session. This is where my nickname comes from: Eujohn was the name of my first ever character, a rogue generated with the D&D 3.5 character generator that can be found as one of the first results on Googleā€¦ despite the fact that the rules were a hodgepodge of whatever the DM recalled.

As soon as that campaign went awry due to people moving abroad for work reasons, I started looking for new groups and alternatives and, quite luckily, a nerd bar opened around that time a hundred meters away from my place, so I started attending the various events they used to organize, with D&D one shots on Tuesdays and, once a month, one shots of whatever stroke the mastersā€™ fancy. Then I also started playing online via Discord and lurking various chats and forums, among which I also number La Locanda dei GdR (and Iā€™m here after @Froggyā€™s post over there).

Nowadays Iā€™m part of a local association that organizes three RPG events per month in Milan and lend my hand in arranging COSMO, an online monthly convention where the Italian OSR community has a chance to play together despite the distance (not only OSR, I must say, as @Froggy mentioned here people in the Italian OSR community are mostly open to various play styles).

Iā€™m pretty open to playing almost anything under the sun. Currently Iā€™m playing a Monsterhearts 2 season and running a Fantasy World campaign, plus some one shots in the funnel for next month. I also recently finished an adventure for Brancalonia run by @Bille.Boo. Among my favorite RPGs I can name Polaris (that I played once in the regular setting and once in a homemade color hack inspired by Cyberpunk Edgerunner), Clink (this I ran once in a quite vanilla spaghetti western setting and then I played in a weird/horror adventure devised by an RPG-friend, but it quickly devolved to our characters being the most gruesome source of horror), and Fedora Noir. Ah, as a recent game I also recall Where Sunflowers Grow, which has become an inside joke with members of the association.

8 Appreciations

Most of us have at least met Emanuele at conventions or chatted with him online at least once.

2 Appreciations

Hi! Me, Iā€™ve playtested with Emanuele Fabula before it was released in Italian. Heā€™s a great guy and you can contact him on his Discord for any gaming-related question.

2 Appreciations

Welcome @Eujohn . Glad to see you. I expect your honest feedback as always.

1 Appreciation

I canā€™t really say that I ā€œknow himā€, but Iā€™ve played with Emanuele in convention at Fabula Ultima. Really good experience.

1 Appreciation

Yeah, Iā€™m on the FabU discord, though not very active there. He seems awesome!

Hi! Which edition? I played a short campaign of Eberron with a GM who, before that, mastered games only for kids. I should write an Actual Play about that one, among the many other Actual Play posts I should write as wellā€¦

Iā€™m looking forward to play with you then, fellow Multi-Genre Enjoyer! :partying_face:

1 Appreciation

Finally, an international space to enjoy!

Hi everyone, my name is Chiara, Iā€™m closing in on 30 (brrr) and Iā€™ve been roleplaying ever since I ran around in my garden at 9 years old pretending I was a witch. :stuck_out_tongue: Ever since then Iā€™ve tried out a bunch of stuff, from chatrooms to play-by-posts to tabletop to larp.

Currently games are both a hobby and a job, as Iā€™m a translator working with a few RPG publishers. I bring games to Italy from various corners of the world, mainly through the design and localization lab NessunDove, but Iā€™ve also done my part to bring Italian games to the English-speaking community. Of these, the one that has the biggest place in my heart is the Crescendo Giocoso anthology of chamber larps, which you may have heard of because it won the Indie Groundbreaker game of the year award back in 2021 and I havenā€™t shut up about it since.

Self-promo aside, my experience with games has really been all over the place. I started ā€œformallyā€ roleplaying on tabletop with D&D3.5, Pathfinder and various other D20 clones, then someone introduced me to PBTAs and from there I discovered there was a whole galaxy out there to explore. Nowadays I mostly gravitate towards ā€œstory gamesā€, which is a weird label but I donā€™t know how to better define it-- basically I want games that let me improv an interesting story with my friends, with little prep and not too much of a focus on tactics or fighting.

I found this place via @Froggy and the Locanda forums, where I mostly go to navel-gaze about game mechanics and try convince people that larps are real games guys, I swear.

A wall of TTRPGs I like/have been playing recently since everyone is doing it and I donā€™t wanna feel left out!

EDIT because I forgot to add that as an Old English nerd I love the forum name.

15 Appreciations

Wonderful! Welcome, Chiara!

It sounds like youā€™re doing some really good and valuable things to bridge the RPG communities of the world. Thatā€™s very exciting to hear!

1 Appreciation

I have a lot of respect for Chiara as a player, and itā€™s been obvious to me in our past discussions that she shares the Wynwerod valuesā€”which have been brewing in my head for many years, before I opened this forum.

Somehow the stars havenā€™t aligned for us to play togetherā€”possibly because of her interest in LARP and our physical distance across Europe. I end up skipping ChamberCon each year because itā€™s up in the mountains and takes a long time to get to. Hopefully we will find a chance!

I find a lot of LARP culture alien and sometimes unconstructively obsessed with 100% in-character play, but whatever is there that interests me, Chiara represents.

Welcome!

2 Appreciations

Hi there,
I am Roberto, 39 years old from Italy and I am here because of my acquaintance with @Froggy and his Locanda forum.

I played informally since my early teenage years and my exposure with gamebooks, but I first played a ā€œtrueā€ RPG only in my university years. Then a long hiatus until 2020: with the pandemic I rekindled my interest in roleplaying (especially in solo games) and I read a lot about what I missed while I was following other interests.

I mostly play very rules light games, I have a thing for tag-based frameworks and Freeform/Universal is what I like and play the most.

I have also an interest in old games, my favorite in this category are Original Dungeon & Dragons and most of all Traveller, since I am fixed with old science fiction and space opera.

In my spare time I hacked and translated some open licensed games, some of which with @LordPersi

edit: adding at last the matrix of my favorite games

8 Appreciations

Hi folks!

My name is Christian (any pronouns), and I started RPing in 1989 at age 12 after picking up The Dark Eye 2E boxed set from a department store (TDE is as central to and prevalent in the hobby in Germany as D&D is in the US, or at least it was back then). Throughout high school I played (mostly ran) lots of games from Werewolf to KULT to Harnmaster to MechWarrior and more.

In late 1995, I joined CompuServe and fell deeply into the freeform chat-RP hole. Thatā€™s where I met my then future wife, which is why I moved to Portland, Oregon, USA in 2000, where I went to grad school and where we still live. Though currently Iā€™m visiting my family in Hamburg, Germany.

I played some AD&D 2E with coworkers after that, and did not enjoy it very much. In 2005 or so, I found the Forge, and thereafter started designing and publishing my own games (the biggest ones being Beast Hunters in 2007, Anima Prime in 2011, and Meridian in 2016).

From 2010 to 2015 I also did improv theater once or twice a week, which not only gave me some tools to deal with my natural shyness but also got me more interested in LARPs. Several parlor LARPs had a big impact on me after that, most noticeably Better Living Through Robotics and Athenaā€™s Chosen. I havenā€™t yet done a weekend LARP but would love to do so (maybe next year).

I like a wide range of games, from action-focused ones to romantic two-player games, but mostly I play narrative-focused ones like Primetime Adventures, PbtA games, Archipelago, Fall of Magic, and so on.

In the rest of my spare time I like to make music, write fiction, and learn the basics of skills Iā€™ll never apply to anything.

11 Appreciations

Hi, Christian! What a fun surprise. Nice to see you here! (And I didnā€™t know you were also a music-making person. Seems thereā€™s a few of us around!)

2 Appreciations

:wave: OlĆ” from Portugal :portugal: My name is Ricardo Tavares (he/him), I love tabletop games in general and RPGs in particular, so I guess Iā€™ve come to the right place :heart_eyes: Some people may know me from the Story Games or Gauntlet forums. I also love to host the #RPGenesis game jams that @PaulCzege has mentioned. In my country, I also like to help organize regular RPG meet-ups, although the covids have sidelined me for a while.

I started playing around the 90s when hobby stores in my city were not yet completely taken over by Hasbro and we had a bunch of different RPGs getting played. The one that attracted me at the time was Vampire: the Masquerade and, beyond watching other people play, my first experience with RPGs was buying the V:tM book together with a few friends and having a lot of fun discovering the role of a storyteller. I accumulated a lot of experience with White Wolf games, I enjoyed Mage: the Ascension and Exalted, but grew tired of their formulaic approach. I also was fortunate enough to play other things like Call of Cthulhu, Legend of the Five Rings, several editions of D&D or Cyberpunk 2020. Our local scene at the time carried a lot of different RPGs.

With the help of the internet and discussions at the Forge, I also discovered other games like My Life with Master or Dogs in the Vineyard. I felt I had more fun with purposefully designed games that even tested the limits of what I thought an RPG was. I also got into designing games myself and learned a lot from that, this is why I started hosting #RPGenesis.

More recently, Iā€™ve found a lot of value in ideas Iā€™ve gathered from Apocalypse World and Blades in the Dark, I believe that moving from the fiction first has a lot of advantages. Iā€™ve also become more divorced from the D&Ds since 4E and have generally moved away from traditional notions of ā€œrunningā€ games for ā€œmyā€ players and having to ā€œhandleā€ stuff. I assume that the role of the GM is just another kind of player, I donā€™t like to sit at the head of the table or to have a screen in front of me. When I play a character, I like to keep my foot on the accelerator and drive towards story happening with the other players.

Hope to see this new community grow. Iā€™ve been lurking at the Adept Play Discord and I enjoy Actual Play posts (not the performative play that has become so popular). I like talking about theory and game design, but Iā€™ve found that often Actual Play topics lead to more productive discussions as they donā€™t get caught as much on semantics. Glad to have found this place! :+1:

12 Appreciations